South Coastal DE AARP Chapter 5226 was founded in 1997 to meet the needs of the growing senior population in southern Sussex County. We are the largest chapter in Delaware and among the largest in the nation.
Our mission is to work at the local level to make life better for everyone over age 50 and their families. Our goals and objectives include:
- Community Outreach – Create and enhance opportunities for members to be involved in activities that address an array of community needs.
- Leadership – Develop members’ skills and their potential to assume positions of increasing responsibility within the chapter and in our community.
- Communication – Facilitate the exchange of information between our members and national AARP through the state AARP office.
- Recruitment – Increase membership, ensuring continued growth and greater member diversity.
- Fellowship – Conduct activities that foster congeniality and friendship.
- Advocacy – Participate actively in addressing issues that have an impact on members and our communities, in accordance with AARP policies, practices, and positions.
- Education – Impart knowledge that is useful to individuals and the community.
We are committed to the AARP goal to engage and empower our members and others who are aged 50+ to help ensure that our children and grandchildren enjoy an America as good as its promise.