South Coastal DE AARP Chapter 5226 provides support to many groups in the area, both financially and through volunteer activities.
Here are a few examples of our community service activities, which are spearheaded by the Community Service Committee:
- In the Fall of 2017, we collected “Dollars for Coats,” which enabled us to buy coats, jackets, and other cold weather gear for needy students at a local elementary school.
- Chapter members contributed more than 200 Christmas gifts for seniors, which were distributed on Christmas Day through the Cheer Center’s Meals on Wheels program.
- We also collected funds to buy gift certificates for seniors at one of the Cheer Centers, enabling needy seniors to buy clothing and personal care items at a local merchant.
- In February, we assisted staff at a local elementary school to hold a “Dental Day,” teaching school kids about the benefits of good dental hygiene. Chapter members donated “kids” toothpaste, and we purchased some teaching materials for the trainers at the school.
- In March, the Community Service Committee sponsored the movie Notorious, starring Ingrid Bergman and Gary Cooper, at the Clayton Theatre in Dagsboro. Proceeds from this event were donated to The Salvation Army.
- At each monthly Chapter meeting, the Community Service Committee collects canned good and other non-perishable food items to help fill the pantry at the Pyle Center, which assists needy families in our area stretch their food dollars.